Faced with growing maintenance backlogs, aging infrastructure and tightening budgetary constraints – road authorities and municipalities worldwide are seeking to lower expenses, while still maximizing road safety and quality.
Road maintenance is the fifth-largest overall cost item for road authorities and municipalities and accounts for some 45% of total road budgets. With the growing gap between budgets and demands, road stakeholders need to make every maintenance dollar count.
TRADITIONAL ROAD SURVEYS FALL SHORT
Traditional municipal road surveys are either visual, highly-subjective and manual or automated and very costly.
Visual surveys by municipal employees or citizen reports lack consistency and do not scale. Yet thorough road surveys using special vehicles and instruments conducted by service providers are costly and time-consuming - and the data they produce quickly becomes outdated.
This leaves road authorities and municipalities with tight budgetary constraints, yet without a viable middle option that can deliver the ongoing, detailed and constantly updated road quality intelligence they need to optimize maintenance budgets.
THE SOLUTION TURN YOUR VEHICLES INTO ALWAYS-ON SENSORS
Powered by advanced Artificial Intelligence, the Tactile Mobility platform turns existing municipal vehicles into always-on mobile road condition probes.
Tactile Mobility gathers and analyzes data drawn from existing onboard municipal vehicle sensors. This turns every municipal vehicle into a probe that “feels” the road, maps road friction and pinpoints hazards and distresses - then sends this data securely to the cloud.
The Tactile Mobility cloud correlates and analyzes vehicle-generated data using advanced AI-powered algorithms. The system then generates actionable and updated road insights that maximize road safety, focus maintenance and upkeep efforts and identify critical wear-and-tear trends.
We call these insights SurfaceDNA™ and they enable:
- An objective road quality score for each road traveled by municipal vehicles – along with an overall segmented city road quality score
- Reports of road damage – cracks, potholes, bumps, and more - including severity and GPS-resolution location
- Timely alerts of road hazards such as oil spills, puddles, ice and other weather-related hazards - including severity and GPS-resolution location
- Long term insights, analyses and road quality trends
AS EASY AS 1-2-3
- During routine vehicle maintenance, add the low-footprint Tactile Mobility device to parking enforcement, maintenance, and other vehicles.
- Operate the vehicles as usual while Tactile Mobility collects data from existing vehicle sensors and analyzes it in the background.
- Based on the collected data, get actionable insights about road conditions and characteristics that enable more effective maintenance planning and execution, as well as timely hazard
TACTILE MOBILITY BENEFITS
- Objectively map road conditions more frequently and cost-effectively than currently possible – better surveying for less money
- Lower road maintenance expenses with more accurate prioritization of needs based on continuous objective analysis
- Raise road safety with timely hazard detection
- Manage and dispatch maintenance personnel more efficiently
- Optimize winter maintenance planning, operations and quality control
- Enhance municipal image with innovative, high-visibility smart city technology
Tactile Mobility Features